I know that picture is nastier than nast but surprise – they’re marshmallows!!! Not just marshmallows but tie-dye marshmallows. That’s what I made (or tried to make) this sunday as a study break (study distraction) and if I told you it was for any other reason than they’re cute, I’d be lying. But they aren’t just cute, they are also insanely cool – mostly if you get them right (forewarning: I did not). BUT they taste like cute little peeps and that’s coming from a gal who doesn’t even like marshmallows.
This recipe comes from StudioDIY and if you, unlike me, follow the instructions exactly as they are, you will get the coolest psychedelic marshmallows. I’ll copy the recipe here for you guys and add a few notes from experience.
3 packages unflavored gelatin (1/4 ounce packets)
1 1/4 cup water, divided
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Gel food coloring (electric pink, electric blue, electric purple, turquoise green, yellow)
(GEL!!!! Specifically Gel!)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the powdered unflavored gelatin with 3/4 cup cold water. Let sit.
- In a small sized pot, combine the sugar, corn syrup and remaining 1/2 cup of water. Heat over medium and bring to a boil. Once boiling, raise heat to high and cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees. (a candy thermometer is a must so you fix the mixture exactly as it needs to be! If not, bring the mixture to a rolling boil for a full minute and then take off the heat.)
- Using a fine mesh sieve, completely cover the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with a solid layer of powdered sugar. Have five bowls and five spoons ready before whipping the marshmallow. (I would strongly suggest lining the pan with parchment paper and THEN covering it in powdered sugar. It’s so much easier to get the sticky marshmallows out when you can pick up the paper.)
- Turn stand mixer to low and carefully pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin. Turn the speed up to high and whip for 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla and mix till combined. (When she says 5-7 minutes she is not joking!!!!! I was freaked out by how thin/liquidy it was that I kept whipping it and it turned out too thick to swirl the colors together. Also, cover your mixer in a towel or else you will have hot, sticky corn syrup flying everywhere)
- Once you have whipped the mixture, quickly divide the marshmallow into the 5 bowls and color each one with the different gel food colorings. Work quickly as the mixture will set fast. (Work at like super speed. Maybe have someone help ya out.)
- You are going to pour the marshmallow into the pan in 2 layers. For the first layer, in a clockwise direction, place half of the purple in one corner, then half of the pink next to it, followed by half of the yellow, half of the green and ending with half of the blue which should also connect back to the purple. (I thought it would be cute to have a little white in mine but seeing as I ruined them I can’t tell if that is a good idea so lmk, readers.)
- Using a stick of any kind (a chopstick works perfectly!), begin to swirl the colors into each other, careful not to completely mix the colors together. This is the fun part! Every batch will be different.
- Repeat the process on top of your first layer but start the purple in a different spot than before. This just helps to ensure that every marshmallow will have a little bit of every color. Gently swirl the colors only in the new top layer.
- With the fine mesh sieve, cover generously with powdered sugar and flatten the surface with your hands. Let sit uncovered overnight to set.
- Run a knife along the edges. Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares. (These will be super sticky! Cut them on something covered in powdered sugar! I used a pizza roller to cut them and it worked perfectly, but you’ll have to clean off the blade now and again.
Ta-da (yikes). Now, I’m sure you guys’ mallows turned out much better than mine so if anyone wants to help me eat a whole tub of wanna-be Andy Warhol peeps, you are all welcome.
If you want to match our colorful marshmallows, wear something of every color from your closet, OR buy everything Ban.do and Mudpie from us 🙂